This will be my last blog for the year. I may start again after the first week of January. For those interested I would like summarize the results of our efforts.
The anniversary for the second year of the blog will be at the end of January 2015. For the past 11 months I have written 104 blogs (not counting this one) and have had close to 61,000 views of which 25,000 or so have come from the United States. Surprisingly Spanish speaking countries have been among the top referrals with Spain, Mexico and Argentina occupying the second, fourth and fifth spots, respectively. At present only one-third of the total views are from Spanish countries, but this statistic is rapidly changing. Only half of the total number of views came through search engines with the most common terms being: brainstem, connective tissue and amygdala and all of them as related to autism.
The five most commonly accessed blogs in English (from highest to lowest) were:
1) Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and autism (https://corticalchauvinism.com/2013/08/12/ehlers-danlos-syndrome-and-autism/ )
2) Key players in autism. IV. The brainstem (https://corticalchauvinism.com/2013/03/25/key-players-in-autism-iv-the-brainstem/ )
3) Fear, emotion and socialization: the role of the amygdala in the symptoms of autism (https://corticalchauvinism.com/2013/10/21/fear-emotion-and-socialization-the-role-of-the-amygdala-in-the-symptoms-of-autism/ )
4) A perspective on psychological theories and autism (https://corticalchauvinism.com/2013/02/26/a-perspective-on-psychological-theories-of-autism/ )
5) Dyslexia, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and autism (https://corticalchauvinism.com/2013/05/06/dyslexia-attention-deficity-hyperactivity-disorder-and-autism/ )
In my first year blogging reports on transcranial magnetic stimulation and prenatal ultrasonoraphy were the most popular.
The five most commonly accessed blogs in Spanish (from highest to lowest) were:
1) La definicion del autism (https://corticalchauvinism.com/2013/05/02/la-definicion-del-autismo/ )
2) Caracteristicas neuroanatomicas y neuropatologicas del autism (https://corticalchauvinism.com/2013/05/16/caracteristicas-neuroanatomicas-y-neuropatologicas-del-autismo/ )
3) El sindrome de savant adquirido (https://corticalchauvinism.com/2013/07/11/el-sindrome-de-savant-adquirido/ )
4) La rara enfermedad de Urbach Wiethe y el autism (https://corticalchauvinism.com/2013/10/09/la-rara-enfermedad-de-urbach-wiethe-y-el-autismo/ )
5) La ultrasonografia o ecografia prenatal y el autism (https://corticalchauvinism.com/2013/08/06/la-ultrasonografia-o-ecografia-prenatal-y-el-autismo/ )
The most controversial blog was one written about mass delusions, conspiracy theories and Andrew Wakefield. Most of the bile comments were spammed. However, death threats from the anti-vaccine movement forced me to withdraw from participating in a Generation Rescue meeting.
I am hoping to transition to a new stage in my career at the University of South Carolina. I will be moving sometime during the year and be accompanied by my wife Emily Williams (now Casanova), who is also an autism researcher. We have many good leads that could make a difference in autism, the future looks bright.
I hope that all of you have the opportunity to spend time in the company of your loved ones and enjoy a blessed Christmas.